By Loren A.
Let’s face it, buying a drinking water system of good quality can be the best investment you’ll ever make.
More often than not, we fail to ask ourselves what is in our drinking water. We want to believe that if it smells, tastes and looks okay, then it must be okay.
Sorry. The fact is that tap water and bottled water are pretty similar.
Tap water contains chlorine, lead, toxic chemicals, pharmaceuticals and biological contaminants that can harm our health. Yet bottled water is only regulated to be as safe as tap water.
So How Toxic Is Your Water?
Well, lets take a look at the most obvious one first. Chlorine is the most widely used disinfectant simply because it is cheap. Water companies use it so that the water reservoirs will be kept free from bacteria, viruses, protozoa and parasites.
Unfortunately, this same toxic chemical used to kill microorganisms is still in our water. The water we drink and use throughout the home on a daily basis.
In addition to chlorine, lead from old piping systems can also make its way into our water at home. This is often beyond the control of municipal drinking water systems.
Lead contamination typically happens after the treatment process. But they are still responsible for the distribution system. And those connections often contain lead.
Did you know that the EPA established a healthy limit of 0 mg/l for lead, but a legal standard of 15 parts per billion? So that means your water is legal, just not healthy!
Lead ingestion can be toxic and can cause mental retardation, cancer, kidney damage, learning disabilities, nerve damage, and behavioral problems.
Microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasites also get into your water. These are known to carry water-borne diseases responsible for millions of deaths among infants and children every year.
Among some of the diseases they carry are cholera, rotavirus, amoebiasis, hepatitis A&E, typhoid, and E.coli. A drinking water system that has sub micron filtration will ensure that even microorganisms like giardia and cryptosporidium will be unable to pass through the pore of the filter.
Economical Water Purification
To effectively get rid of lead, a drinking water system should utilize carbon filtration. Carbon is a highly absorbent material that can get rid of toxins like chlorine, lead, arsenic, benzene, and nitrates.
But a good quality water filtration system has other benefits aside from effectively getting rid or chemical, metal, and biological contaminants. It will retain healthy minerals in the water, making it taste better while cleaning it up.
A filtered drinking water system is doesn’t need electricity to run and it only requires a filter change every now and then. Just like your car. But your health is way more important, so don’t think of having to change filters as an expense. It is more of a lifetime investment.
Make no mistake about it, a point of use water filtration system is one sure way of guaranteeing the long term health of your family.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Loren_A./537658